[Users] BNSM/TOV simulation error

Roland Haas rhaas at illinois.edu
Mon Mar 20 11:15:51 CDT 2023

Hello Spandan Sarma,

Not having looked very carefully yet, one thing that turned out an
issue in the last while has been that the gallery example (see
http://einsteintoolkit.org/gallery/bns/index.html) is "small" and set
up to run (see the web-page) 24 hours using 12 cores. Running on many
more cores (MPI ranks really) can lead to these issues.

So the first step would be to make sure that you run small enough (I
would try for no more than 24 or so MPI ranks, and usually more than 8
threads per MPI rank is not helping) and verify that the example works.

Then, you can increase the resolution (the dx, dy, dz parameters in the
parameter file *.par) to make sure that that NS are resolved well
(resolution on the refinement level that contains them better than say
200m at least) and slowly scale up the number of cores to use until you
have acceptable run speed.

Based on your log files there were 16 MPI ranks for the TOV example
(which last ran on 5 MPI ranks) and 144 MPI ranks for BNS (which was
last run on 12 MPI ranks). In particular the latter one is "too many"
and I suspect the error is due to that.