[Users] request for assistance

Roland Haas rhaas at illinois.edu
Tue Nov 7 09:24:24 CST 2023

Hello Liu,

> Dear Einstein Toolkit developers,<br/><br/>My name is Liu and I am a
> student from Nagoya University. I am now learning to use ET to do
> some simulations. This time I am trying to reproduce this one:<br/><a
> href="https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://einsteintoolkit.org/gallery/bns/index.html__;!!DZ3fjg!4xB3fkj0qHuNguLbp8TtmbSsDXd63cjq97GxVyJkFL92UgArMlDH_mZCYfVtlCbZFKzUGFxqI4-G6nddxj30tsHMBrxNkUvXzg$">https://einsteintoolkit.org/gallery/bns/index.html</a><br/>which
> is a simulation of binary neutron stars.<br/><br/>During execution, I
> noticed this segmentation fault here when creating the simulation
> directory structure. (The screenshot file is attached to this email)
> This seems to be caused by a mismatch in memory settings. I've tried
> many debugging methods, but it still doesn't work.<br/><br/>Could you
> please help me identify the issue? I am using Ubuntu 22.04.3 and I
> have already built the Einstein Toolkit and run a sample simulation
> successfully.

Sorry for the long delay. Your email got held up on the mailing list
server since you were not subscribed to the mailing list yourself.

A SEGFAULT is often caused by running out of memory. If you are trying
to run a BNS simulation on a workstation or laptop (unless it is very
large) then I would expect this to be the case.

You can try and monitor free memory using the "top" command while the
simulation starts.

If there is enough memory then the next thing would be to find out
which function the code is in when it fails from the backtrace and
error messages that should be present in the *.err file and the
backtrac.*.txt files. They also contain information on how to turn the
address of the failure location into a human readable function name.

If you have never done that before then you may want to send the full
stdout and stderr files (*.out and *.err when using simfactory) as well
as the backtrace.*.txt files (in the bns and ouput-0000 directories
respectively) to the list. Possibly compressed to avoid the email being
rejected due to large attachments. Please avoid sending image
screenshots as they do not let one copy and paste text out of them.