[Users] Bugs on window system

Roland Haas rhaas at illinois.edu
Thu Oct 12 08:58:45 CDT 2023

Hello Jeremy Gao,

> I am facing this problem and do not know how to fix it.
>

> There seems to have two bugs here, please help me.
> Thank you so much!

Windows is not directly supported by the Einstein Toolkit. Currently we
advise to use the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) to compile and run
the toolkit.

Please take a look at the beginning of the tutorial notebook that you
were working with, in the Prerequisites section:

https://github.com/einsteintoolkit/jupyter-et/blob/master/tutorial-server/notebooks/CactusTutorial.ipynb

You will most likely not be able to directly use the jupyter notebook
(though it may work, when you run `jupyter-notebook
CactusTutorial.ipynb` *in* the bash shell that WSL starts). You can
however copy and paste the content of each cell (without the possibly
%%bash header) into your bash terminal and this will work.

The actual Python code used eg by Kuibit will require a Python
environment but that one you can run in a normal jupyter notebook.