[Users] meeting minutes for 2023-09-07

Roland Haas rhaas at illinois.edu
Thu Sep 7 09:59:26 CDT 2023

Present: Roland, Steve, Peter, Yosef, Sam, Johnny, Leo, Zach

ET release:

* deadline to include thorns in thornlist was yesterday, none have been
  added
** Sam asks for a reviewer to look at GRHayl thornlist, Steve will look
   at pull request
** CarpetX still has issues, Roland will fix LoopControl problem
** no updates from SGRID

Tickets:
* merging SeedMagneticField in
https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2746/make-seed_magnetic_fields-independent-of Sam has made some changes to push things forward

* https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2745 Zach and
  Sam on fence on whether to push for GRHayL in this release or the
  next to replace IllinoisGRMHD

*
  https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2756 Roland
  described issue being caused by E and P cores on Intel cpus and
  unexpected number of logical CPUs reported by the OS. Steve asked if
  there is an easy way to to identify them. Roland is not aware. Yosef
  asks if it is possible to limit to only one sort of cores. The ET
  currently tries to avoid HT but the issue here is really the uneven
  number of logical cpus compared to cores. Currenlty lscpu --extended
  can be used to identify the cores based on their maximum frequency,
  but it is not nice.

*
  https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2752/parameter-file-parser-generates-illegal-c
  causes issues since we copy the string context verbatim to C, then
  LaTeX then HTML code. Had a discussion about allowing everything and
  escaping, or listing forbidden characters, or listing allowed
  characters. Discussion favored escaping for C, LaTeX and HTML output.

*
  https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2749/wvuthorns-sprintf-use-violates-standard
  Zach will fix this

*
  https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2751/ehfinder-array-reference-out-of-bounds
  Peter will fix

*
  https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2750/httpd-array-access-out-of-bounds
  Roland will fix

*
  https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2739/change-admmacros-spatial_order-to-grhydro
  Steve will review

*
  https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2754/inconsistent-definition-of-b-in-evolution
  Sam will add a parameter

Email:

*
https://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/pipermail/users/2023-September/009059.html
"Loss of precision after postintial?". Yosef suggested that init_3_tl
could also cause changes in POSTPOSTINITIAL. Peter is not sure if
anything more can be said without having seen the parameter file. Peter
will try and contact Hayley.

Chair next week: Steve
Minutes next week: Sam