[Users] Unable to access public data in LORENE

Roland Haas rhaas at illinois.edu
Wed Apr 10 09:01:18 CDT 2024

Hello Sinan,

> As I am trying to cross-verify the reference results and my results,
> I have a problem accessing public data in LORENE on this website
> (https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://lorene.obspm.fr/data/binNS.html__;!!DZ3fjg!9jEPsXYtESmXIH5cgd7S9qJ18nLzn360bBMjfbSyXmob6ovcujmRuBwhQyERMlr6C_clps-SG3l-Pst6JUxvW-hGAw$
> ). It shows the error "FTP URLs are disabled". Could you help me with
> this, please? Thank you!

You will need to install a ftp client to access LORENE's initial data
files (support for the ftp (file transfer protocol) protocol has been
removed from modern browsers).

Wikipedia contains a list of ftp clients:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_FTP_client_software

for different operating systems. An easy to use (since it has a GUI)
one may be FileZilla

https://filezilla-project.org/download.php?type=client

For Windows you can also try WinSCP

https://winscp.net/eng/index.php

which I have used myself for SCP based access but which also supports
FTP.

For Linux your distributions package manager will have a number of ftp
clients available eg. for Ubuntu (where I myself use lftp but it is
command line only)

https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?suite=noble&section=all&arch=any&keywords=ftp&searchon=all

For the gallery example

http://einsteintoolkit.org/gallery/bns/index.html

the Einstein Toolkit website provides a direct download for the file

G2_I12vs12_D4R33T21_45km.resu.xz

at

http://einsteintoolkit.org/gallery/bns/G2_I12vs12_D4R33T21_45km.resu.xz