[Users] Questions on the installation of ET in Linux system

Roland Haas rhaas at illinois.edu
Wed Jan 17 10:56:05 CST 2024

Hello Zhiwei Chen,

Sorry for the delay in responding, your email got hold up for moderator
approval.

Based on the error message (ld reporting incorrect options), my guess
is that you (or something else) either added a line:

LD = ld

or have an environment variable LD set that points to that ld.

However for the Einstein Toolkit LD is actually the compiler wrapper
(g++ usually) that used to at the link stage.

If you added a LD line to your options list, then I would remove it
(since it is not actually needed, the ET will pick the value of CXX as a
default).

If there is an environment variable set (see the output of "env | grep
LD") then you can use (bash syntax):

unset LD

before compiling the code to remove it (this can be automated in the
"envsetup = ..." line(s) in the machine definition file, but I'd first
try manually to see if this helps).