Dear Roland
Thank you for your e-mail.
 The TwoPunctures
 CT_MultiLevel test "cheats" by (also) solving the equation using
 TwoPunctures and then using the known TwoPunctures solution as a
 Dirichlet type boundary condition. You may be able to get away with a
 Dirichlet type b/c using M/r as the value where "M" is the desired
 ADM mass of the system. 
I notice that I may use Dirichlet boundary similar way.
I will try it.
Thank you for your suggestion.
Best.
Taishi.
************************************
Taishi Ikeda
Physics Department
Sapienza University of Rome (Italy)
taishi.ikeda@uniroma1.it
************************************

On Oct 16, 2020, at 16:10, Roland Haas <rhaas@illinois.edu> wrote:

Hello Taishi,

the participants discussed your email at yesterday's public Einstein
Toolkit user call, see:
https://docs.einsteintoolkit.org/et-docs/Meeting_agenda

Unfortunately no experts in the CT_MultiLevel code were present.

I am certainly no expert myself but will try to offer some suggestions:

* CT_MultiLevel is indeed compatible (in fact uses and relies) on
 Carpet and the grid setup requires that you cover your solution
 domain with multiple refinement levels. 
* The Poisson equation can be solved and you can see eg an example in
 our gallery: http://einsteintoolkit.org/gallery/poisson/index.html
* Please see the mailing list for previous questions about
 CT_MultiLevel:
 http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/pipermail/users/2020-August/007562.html
 http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/pipermail/users/2020-August/007563.html
 http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/pipermail/users/2020-August/007575.html
* Since CT_MultiLevel only supports Cartesian grids a boundary
 condition like 1/r which typically ends up being implemented as a
 robin type conditions a f(r) + b f'(r) = 0 is (to my understanding)
 not well posed since the r-derivative is not a normal derivative (in
 the normal direction of the boundary) on the x,y,z boundary faces. It
 would require a boundary that is a sphere. The TwoPunctures
 CT_MultiLevel test "cheats" by (also) solving the equation using
 TwoPunctures and then using the known TwoPunctures solution as a
 Dirichlet type boundary condition. You may be able to get away with a
 Dirichlet type b/c using M/r as the value where "M" is the desired
 ADM mass of the system. 

Hopefully someone with more in-depth understanding of CT_MultiLevel
will be able to chip in.

Yours,
Roland

Dear all
Hello, I’m a user of EinsteinToolkit.
Now, I’m trying to solve Poisson's equation using ctthorn as initial data before time evolution on EinsteinToolkit.
The boundary condition is 1/r.

I already implemented my thorns for the source term of the equation,
and solved the equation using "CT_MutiLevel”.
I checked if the final solution is real solution of the original equation, but
it is not good solution.
I changed the resolution, but it is not improved.

So, I may misunderstand how to use CT_MutiLevel thorns, and I have questions relate to "CT_MutiLevel" :
1)
In order to understand correct behavior, 
I want to try test simulation using poisson.par, which is one of the example parameter file.

But, it does not work.
The output told me the grid structure is inconsistent,
and I also try another example, but it also has same error.
Are there other available par file for CT_MutiLevel ?

2)
To solve the elliptic equation with 1/r boundary condition, is CT_MutiLevel the best way ?
If there are another thorn to solve elliptic equation in EinsteinToolkit, let me know.
Since I want to use Carpet, the thorn should be compatible with Carpet.

3)
After solving elliptic equation, I want to solve time evolution.
Since CT_MutiLevel is a solver using MultiGrid method, we must prepare several Carpet grids on whole domain.
But, is it consist with time evolution ?
If there is an example par file, let me know.

Best.
Taishi.

************************************
Taishi Ikeda
Physics Department
Sapienza University of Rome (Italy)
taishi.ikeda@uniroma1.it
************************************




-- 
My email is as private as my paper mail. I therefore support encrypting
and signing email messages. Get my PGP key from http://pgp.mit.edu .


________________________________________________________
Le informazioni contenute in questo messaggio di posta elettronica sono strettamente riservate e indirizzate esclusivamente al destinatario. Si prega di non leggere, fare copia, inoltrare a terzi o conservare tale messaggio se non si è il legittimo destinatario dello stesso. Qualora tale messaggio sia stato ricevuto per errore, si prega di restituirlo al mittente e di cancellarlo permanentemente dal proprio computer.
The information contained in this e mail message is strictly confidential and intended for the use of the addressee only.  If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read, copy, forward or store it on your computer. If you have received the message in error, please forward it back to the sender and delete it permanently from your computer system.