[ET Trac] [Einstein Toolkit] #216: Thorns in ExternalLibraries should abort if the old "extras" mechanism has been selected

Einstein Toolkit trac-noreply at einsteintoolkit.org
Thu Jan 20 10:19:09 CST 2011

#216: Thorns in ExternalLibraries should abort if the old "extras" mechanism has
been selected
-------------------------------+--------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  hinder             |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement        |      Status:  new
 The old way of specifying the location of external libraries, from
 Cactus/lib/make/extras, for example setting HDF5 = yes, is not compatible
 with the new mechanism where you must simply include the appropriate thorn
 from ExternalThorns.  Using both can be confusing.

 I propose modifying the thorns in ExternalLibraries to check if the old
 mechanism has been selected, and to abort with an explanatory error
 message telling the user not to set, e.g. HDF5 = yes, if they are using
 ExternalLibraries/HDF5.

 I am attaching a completely untested patch for the HDF5 thorn which
 implements something like this.  The code to determine if the user
 selected HDF5 = yes was taken from the extras directory.

 Comments?  If this is appropriate, it can be adapted to all the thorns in
 ExternalLibraries.

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/216>
Einstein Toolkit <http://einsteintoolkit.org>