[ET Trac] #2753: Add CarpetX thorns to Einstein Toolkit manifest

Roland Haas trac-noreply at einsteintoolkit.org
Mon Aug 28 10:09:47 CDT 2023

#2753: Add CarpetX thorns to Einstein Toolkit manifest

 Reporter: Erik Schnetter
Component: Other

Comment (by Roland Haas):

Since we only really support gcc or \(on some systems\) clang I ran a quick test to see just how involved this might be:

```
.../mdb/optionlists$ git grep -l CC.*gcc *
db-sing-cpu.cfg
db-sing-nv.cfg
debian-cuda.cfg
expanse-gnu.cfg
generic.cfg
graham-gpu.cfg
graham.cfg
orca-gcc.cfg
raspbian.cfg
summit.cfg
thornyflat.cfg
wheeler.cfg
```

which shows that almost none of the big US production clusters \(except expanse and summit\) use `gcc` and none clang.

`db-sing-nv` and `db-sing-cpu` are are both special for deepbayou and singularity and CarpetX so they are ok.

So we would be disabling everywhere and enable only on db1, expanse and summit. We cannot easily enable on generic since that would push the minimum required gcc on workstations where we do not know what is present \(one hopes that everybody runs a gcc new enough, though gcc-11 might be too new for some setups\).

I could not find any cluster officially using clang \(an only theta uses Cray’s `cc` wrapper but uses the intel compiler\).

--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2753/add-carpetx-thorns-to-einstein-toolkit