[Users] Completing GetComponents' transition to GitHub

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Thu Dec 2 07:25:12 CST 2010

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 7:15 PM, Eric Seidel <eric at eseidel.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> with the new release of the Einstein Toolkit complete, I think we can
> finally complete the transition of GetComponents to GitHub. This would
> involve two things.
>
> 1. Applying the attached patch to the ET trunk thornlist. It would just add
> the GetComponents GitHub repository, and symlink GetComponents into the root
> of the ET source tree. There was an issue with this previously, where the
> symlink did not work, but that was fixed a few months ago.

Eric

Yes, this would be a good time to do this.

Most other tools are distributed as directories residing in the root
level of the Cactus source tree. (We're actually beginning to have too
many of these, but we can deal with that later.) I think GetComponents
should be handled in the same way, and would omit the symlink. What
may be a good idea is to introduce a "bin" directory in the Cactus
source tree and put copies/links of all the tools there.

The GetComponents directory would also need to contain documentation
and a README; the documentation could also be a copy of or an abstract
of a web site.

Who has write permission to the github repository? It is always good
if one or two external people (i.e. Einstein Toolkit maintainers that
are not the main tool developers) have write permission as well in
cases of emergency.

Regarding the issue you mention above: Most people do not update their
source tree regularly, and I would not be surprised if some people
still stumbled over this problem. Could you make sure there is a
description and a work-around available somewhere prominent, e.g. in
the README and on the web site?

Erik Schnetter <schnetter at cct.lsu.edu>   http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~eschnett/