[Users] trac components

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Sat Dec 4 00:16:32 CST 2010

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 4:08 PM, Frank Loeffler <knarf at cct.lsu.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is a question about our bug tracking system. In this system we can
> define components against which people can then file issues. This helps
> to categorize the bug reports and to automatically assign bugs to people
> (component owners). At the moment only a few components are defined,
> e.g. simfactory, the ET websites, GetComponents, Carpet or trac itself. In
> the extreme case we could have one trac component for each ET component,
> e.g. each thorn or other utility. However, I think that this would not
> be so useful. This list would be really long and some issues would still
> not fit into that.
>
> I propose to group components within the Cactus framework mainly by
> arrangement, but not making that an absolute rule. We would assign
> maintainers to each of the arrangement. That would of course not
> mean that they would be (the only people) responsible to actually
> fix those problems, but merely taking care that the issues have proper
> owners and are not forgotten.
>
> What are the opinions about this?

One reason for having components is so that people who are experts in
one subject are not bothered by having to look at issues in other
fields. As you mention, it also doesn't make sense to have more than
five or ten components, because otherwise the distinctions would be so
fine that people would misfile.

This may work:

Cactus (flesh and all Cactus* arrangements)
Carpet (all Carpet* arrangements)
Einstein Toolkit (all Einstein* arrangements)
web sites (Cactus, Carpet, Einstein Toolkit, Trac, ...)
utilities (SimFactory, GetComponents, ...)

Erik Schnetter <schnetter at cct.lsu.edu>   http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~eschnett/