[Users] Enhancements to Multipole

Frank Loeffler knarf at cct.lsu.edu
Fri Dec 10 11:09:36 CST 2010

Hi,

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 11:42:42AM +0100, Ian Hinder wrote:
> This is a good idea in any case.  But I don't think that activating or deactivating a thorn should change the output behaviour of another thorn - it is too unexpected.

Isn't that what would be introduced with the optional dependency on
HDF5? One could see at this way: by default hdf5 is used, but there is
also a fallback to ascii in case someone doesn't have hdf5 for whatever
reason - so that the thorn is still usable. No parameter file would have
to be changed for example. The simulation would still run.

> Do people use the released version for production runs?  I don't.  But then, I also don't routinely update my main Cactus tree.  There is little enough development going on in critical areas that this doesn't seem important.

Right. Therefore I think it would be ok to change the default behavior
in the development version, as long as we don't forget to mention this
in the release notes.

Frank