[Users] simfactory errors on queenbee

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Sat Aug 13 22:39:53 CDT 2011

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 12:28 PM, Scott Hawley <scott.hawley at belmont.edu> wrote:
> (Guys, I feel like an idiot for posting multiple messages per day to this list.  I'm really trying to work these things out on my own before I post.....)
>

> The TOV example works great on queenbee. :-)
>
> After reading the Advanced Tutorial, I tried to run my own job, which I called "uni449_1".  It's a Cactus run which works interactively...  The command I used was
>
> simfactory/sim create-submit uni449_1 --parfile=/home/shawley/runs/texmex/uni449.par --procs=8 --walltime=8:0:0 --num-threads=8 --ppn-used=1 --queue=workq
>
> Several errors appeared, and it seems *Cactus itself* never even got started...but somehow the job used up 8 hours of wall clock time.  ?
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions?    Errors and output log below.

Scott

There seems to be a bug in Simfactory; the value 1/8 is calculated,
and should yield 0 (rounded down to the next integer), but instead is
output as 0.125 (which is not integer). The underlying problem is that
you request 8 cores in total, and then say that you want to use only 1
core per node, so that you will be using only a single core. For this
single core you are requesting 8 threads, which does not work; 8
threads require at least 8 cores.

If you want to use 1 MPI process with 8 OpenMP threads, then leave out
the --ppn-used=1 option, and things should work fine.

Erik Schnetter <schnetter at cct.lsu.edu>   http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~eschnett/