[Users] Einstein Toolkit Meeting Reminder

Frank Loeffler knarf at cct.lsu.edu
Sun Aug 14 23:49:47 CDT 2011

Hi

Please consider joining the weekly Einstein Toolkit phone call at
10 am US central time on Mondays. As usual, you can find instructions
how to join on the following web site:

   http://einsteintoolkit.org/community/support/

I short: the number is (+1) 225-578-4942 or (+1) 866-573-0359 and
         the conference id is 118682#.

The points on my agenda are mainly follow-ups from last week:

- We gave people a week to test the hg version of Carpet within a
  production simulation and should now collect results/impressions/bugs.

- The RIT and GaTech groups wanted to give the python version of
  simfactory a try. Also here we are eager to hear what they have to
  say.

- There was some discussion as of whether or not Simfactory2
  (the python version) should live in a separate repository. Whatever
  the decision is, we should make it soon so that we can use it
  within the development version of the ET thornlist.

- RIT offered to provide presentation materials (slides?) regarding the
  use of CCE. Are these available? Who tried CCE so far? The ET should
  release with CCE, so we should get this into the thornlist as soon as
  possible, but that means we should first move the code to the 'right'
  place (out of incoming), so we need to make a decision about the
  inclusion of the CCE code into the ET. The status afaik is:
  - A lot of thorns got commited to 'incoming'
  - Not all thorns are necessary for CCE, not all should be included
    in the ET -> would need exact list of thorns to test/move.
  - Some thorns are connected to the CalTech-version of the extraction
    of the boundary data for the null code. This has so far only been
    shown to work with multipatch. That multipatch code is not (yet)
    publicly available. It has been tried to remove the multipatch
    related code parts, and this is what is now in incoming, but
    afaik this doesn't quite work yet. I believe it would be very good
    for the toolkit to have this method as well, but I would like to
    know how much work it would be to make this work and if someone can
    commit to actually do it. Otherwise this cannot be part of the next
    ET release.

- The fall workshop will be a "two-track" workshop, in the following
  sense: There will be a ET-workshop, covering a selection of
  mhd/eos/radiation transport questions. Here we need to decide on
  which topic and someone to invite (but without financial support
  at this point).
  There will also be a Cactus-workshop, at the same time, the same
  building, sharing the same room for part of the time, sharing some
  discussions, and of course sharing the breaks.  This is for people
  with only moderate interest in the ET workshop topics, but greater
  interest in infrastructure development. Prime candidates for
  topics here are improved Cactus scheduling and GPGPU support.

  I am happy to be able to say that coffee breaks are covered from LSU
  side. Transportation, usual meals and hotels have to be covered by
  the participants though. Information to suggested hotels ect isn't
  available yet.

- ET paper: Some progress over last week. I (Frank) will work on it this
  week and contact individuals directly.

Frank