[Users] update new user guide for non-TeraGrid/XSEDE users?

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Tue Aug 23 14:29:12 CDT 2011

Brian

Cactus uses certain software packages (C compiler, Fortran compiler,
MPI, queuing system) which differ on basically every HPC system.
Instructions for building Cactus are therefore either targeted to a
specific system, or have to say "please read the system's
documentation to figure out these things". There is nothing in
particular that makes our instructions target TeraGrid systems; in
fact, we are targeting LONI systems, which are not part of XSEDE.

If you follow the instructions at
<https://docs.einsteintoolkit.org/et-docs/Tutorial_for_New_Users>,
then these should work almost as is on Hopper. The are two
differences:
1. You have to leave out the "soft add +git" since git is available by default.
2. Since Hopper has 24 cores per node, you need to use a multiple of
24 cores when submitting a job. Use "--procs=48" instead of
"--procs=32". You can also add "--num-threads=6" if you want to use
OpenMP as well (which should work out of the box).

-erik

Erik Schnetter <schnetter at cct.lsu.edu>   http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~eschnett/