[Users] numrel/simfactory SVN commit 1296: /branches/PYSIM_2010/mdb/optionlists/

Roland Haas roland.haas at physics.gatech.edu
Wed Mar 16 17:26:02 CDT 2011

Hello all,

> On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 08:08:34PM +0100, Ian Hinder wrote:
>> An alternative would be to introduce two additional thorns,
>> HDF5Fortran and HDF5CPP, which are each responsible for adding the
>> appropriate libraries to HDF5_LIBS.  I don't like this solution
>> though.
>
> I don't think we need to go that far. As far as I know the only tool
> using the c++ interface is the visit reader, and Christian agreed to
> rewrite it to use the C interface instead - and more related to
> Cactus itself EOS_Omni table reader, which uses the Fortran
> interface. I changed a similar routine in another code from using
> fortran to C, and someone (Roland?) already did that once for
> EOS_Omni.
I wrote C wrappers for the HDF5 functions (ie H5Dread mostly) that
EOS_Omni uses (see https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/145). They
are not what you would call portable routines, but they try to at least
fail loudly if their assumptions are violated (namely that any HDF5
handle returned fits in a CCTK_INT).
The reason for not rewriting the actual routines that uses HDF5 was that
that routine also uses Fortran 90's "allocate" to allocate an
"allocatable" array (alltables in the module eos_module). Since I don't
know how to do this allocation in C, I would have had to write at least
two routines:
* a Fortran one that does the allocate and returns a pointer to it
* a C one to read in all the hdf5 datasets, call the Fortran routine
with the sizes read from the file, and fill in the newly allocated table.