[Users] Illinois Contribution to ET: Staggered Prolongation/Restriction

Christian D. Ott cott at tapir.caltech.edu
Fri Apr 6 00:44:43 CDT 2012

Hi Zach et al.,

thanks for providing your additions to Carpet under the GPL!

As I am sure you are aware, a lot more people are contributing to ET
development than are funded by the single NSF PIF grant supporting the
ET. Many of them do it on top of their commitments to their main
research projects and a sizable fraction devotes significant parts of
their free time to this important community project.

Here is a some motivation for you to help us work in your changes to
Carpet into the main development branch:

Carpet is an evolving code; whenever the ET crew makes a release,
Carpet will have changed a bit and you'll have to re-port your changes
back into the new version of Carpet to be able to profit from other
features (e.g., cell-centered AMR, refluxing, upcoming improved
support for multi-block systems, huge performance improvements etc.).

If you now invest a bit of your time to merge your changes into the
main development tree, we will be happy to maintain your changes and
keep them in sync with upgrades of carpet. This will allow you to
immediately profit from upcoming performance/infrastructure
improvements and you will be able to reach your research goals in
shorter time. I think, this would be a very wise investment of your
time.

Best wishes,

 - Christian Ott