[Users] Carpet version of cctk_bbox?

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Mon Apr 9 09:39:39 CDT 2012

The routine that Roland describes determines what kind of boundary a
boundary is -- inter-processor, symmetry boundary, outer boundary,
etc., but unfortunately does not distinguish between mesh refinement
boundaries and inter-process ghost zones. The reason is that a given
boundary may be both. Consider an L-shaped refined region consisting
of two rectangular component. Where they touch, ghost zones are filled
by copying from the other component, elsewhere, they are filled via
prolongation from the next coarser grid.

Therefore, the distinction between inter-process and mesh refinement
boundaries is hidden from the application, and synchronization applies
both kinds of boundary conditions.

To determine the details, you can query Carpet about which region of a
component are filled by synchronization and which are filled by
prolongation; however, there is no one-to-one connection to what
Cactus calls a "face" of a grid.

Let's discuss on Skype, which should be easier than email.

-erik