[Users] using PBS -V on kraken

Roland Haas roland.haas at physics.gatech.edu
Tue Feb 21 18:45:31 CST 2012

Hello all,

I'd like to use PBS's -V switch (propagates environment settings to the
qsub script) on Kraken (through simfactory2). Simfactory currently does
not use this swich on Kraken. In fact NICS recommends against using -V
(http://www.nics.tennessee.edu/computing-resources/kraken/running-jobs#Batch%20Scripts):
--8<--
Note:  Please do not use the PBS -V option. This can propagate large
numbers of environment variable settings from the submitting shell into
a job which may cause problems for the batch environment. Instead of
using PBS -V, please pass only necessary environment variables using -v
<comma_separated_list_of_ needed_envars>. You can also include module
load statements in the job script.
--8<--
TACC on the other hand actually requires you to have the flag present
(for the modules I presume). Did anyone every actually experience any
issues with -V on Kraken?

Mostly I would like to use the flag so that Cactus' $ENV{'...'}
mechanism works without me having to modify the run/submission scripts
by hand. Is there maybe a simfactory option to define extra environment
variables (I only need one but would rather not hard-code it into the
submission script and instead could add it to the submit call)?