[Users] MoL Arrays

Roland Haas roland.haas at physics.gatech.edu
Fri Feb 24 02:00:19 CST 2012

Hello Christian,

> I am wondering why MoL does not have support for arrays anymore (the provided
> functions are all commented out). I guess there is a particular reason for
> this?
As far as I understand it, the problem is with mesh refinement and the
step-ahead in the Berger-Oliger scheme. Before a fine step is taken, the
coarser grids step ahead so that there is data for prolongation. For an
array this would require extra copies of the array for the stepping
ahead. If you never feed the array content back into the grid then you
might be able to get away updating in global mode (or on the finest
level) and essentially do a unigrid evolution.

The discussion is here:
http://cactuscode.org/pipermail/developers/2007-September/005428.html
(Tanja Bode had the problem already while at PSU)