[Users] MoL Arrays

Yosef Zlochower yosef at astro.rit.edu
Fri Feb 24 06:09:59 CST 2012

On 02/24/2012 03:00 AM, Roland Haas wrote:
> Hello Christian,
>
>> I am wondering why MoL does not have support for arrays anymore (the provided
>> functions are all commented out). I guess there is a particular reason for
>> this?
> As far as I understand it, the problem is with mesh refinement and the
> step-ahead in the Berger-Oliger scheme. Before a fine step is taken, the
> coarser grids step ahead so that there is data for prolongation. For an
> array this would require extra copies of the array for the stepping
> ahead. If you never feed the array content back into the grid then you
> might be able to get away updating in global mode (or on the finest
> level) and essentially do a unigrid evolution.
>
> The discussion is here:
> http://cactuscode.org/pipermail/developers/2007-September/005428.html
> (Tanja Bode had the problem already while at PSU)
>
> Yours,
> Roland

When was this changed? The RIT code uses MoL to evolve grid arrays (we
use the Maxwell
version of ET). It requires some nasty code to get the arrays evolved
correctly and you need
to make sure that, for a given a level, there is only 1 component per
processor.

Dr. Yosef Zlochower
Center for Computational Relativity and Gravitation
Assistant Professor
School of Mathematical Sciences
Rochester Institute of Technology
85 Lomb Memorial Drive
Rochester, NY 14623

Office:74-2067
Phone: +1 585-475-6103

yosef at astro.rit.edu

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: The information transmitted, including
attachments, is intended only for the person(s) or entity to which it
is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.
Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking
of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities
other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this
in error, please contact the sender and destroy any copies of this
information.