[Users] Can't evolve Minkowski with RK4 integrator?

Ian Hawke I.Hawke at soton.ac.uk
Wed Feb 29 08:36:47 CST 2012

It's true that it should reproduce it at the continuum, but the use of
the sum_alpha term may leading to differences at floating point
round-off (as alpha is, for most substeps, not perfectly representable
by floating point [alpha=1/3 in many cases], and sum_alpha is used in
the form ...(1 - sum_alpha)). The effect that Erik describes may be
accumulated floating point error. I'd expect this to manifest itself as
a bulk secular drift (in the unigrid case); with MR the boundaries get
involved (as the drift occurs depends on timesteps taken on the current
level).

If the error is oscillatory in space even in unigrid then this can't be
the problem, I don't think.

Ian