[Users] Carpet/MPI Compilation help

Carl Rodriguez carllouisrodriguez at gmail.com
Mon May 28 04:39:53 CDT 2012

Hi all,

I've been having a great deal of trouble installing ET(K) on our local
cluster at Northwestern.  While I've been able to install and run the
code, I believe something is wrong with how I compiled it with MPI.  I
had tried to reverse engineer some of the machine/submit files in
simfactory/mdb, but the kludged configurations I've tried either stall
after Carpet tries to allocate memory or fails in some of the MPI
calls.  Sometimes it runs correctly, but only on a power of two number
of cores.

Could someone who is very familiar with Carpet/MPI and compiling with
ICC take a quick look at the configuration I've used and let me know if
something is obviously wrong (i.e. incorrect libraries or conflicting
compilation flags)?  It might be a machine specific problem, but it'd be
good to know I've compiled Carpet correctly before moving on to more
technical discussions with our sys-admin.

The relevant parts of the cfg (compiled with icc associated with this
MPI) are

MPI          = OpenMPI
OPENMPI_DIR = /software/mpi/openmpi-1.4.3-intel-2011.3
MPI_INC_DIRS = /software/mpi/openmpi-1.4.3-intel-2011.3/include
MPI_LIB_DIRS = /software/mpi/openmpi-1.4.3-intel-2011.3/lib /usr/lib64
MPI_LIBS     = mpi_cxx mpi rt torque dl pthread
PTHREADS = yes

and then submit with

time $OPENMPI_DIR/bin/mpirun -np @NUM_PROCS@ -cpus-per-proc
@NUM_THREADS@ @EXECUTABLE@ -L 3 @PARFILE@