[Users] logic of scheduling SelectBoundConds in McLachlan?

Kelly, Bernard J. (GSFC-660.0)[UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND BALTIMORE COUNTY] bernard.j.kelly at nasa.gov
Tue Feb 19 12:24:53 CST 2013

Hi Ian (and Frank and Erik). Thanks for the further insight on the
profiling.

[Please ignore the new mail that just came through with the 400KB
attachment. That was my first attempt that was held for moderation because
of the attachment size. Then I sent the slimmed-down attachments, but this
was still in the pipeline.]

I was looking at *all* the processor outputs (that is, all the
TimerReport_XXXXXX files), but not necessarily at all fields in all of
them. I concentrated on the CCTK_EVOL section of the report, and then only
looked closely at discrepancies between a sample "longer SelectBoundCond"
processor and each of the five or six "shorter SelectBoundcond"
processors. I suppose to do a more complete job, I'd have to start
scripting ...

Anyway, I *hadn't* been using those profiling parameters before, so my
conclusions were probably dodgy as you say. After your reply I re-enabled
them and restarted the run. Since it's so slow, I'm now looking at the
TimerReports from earlier in the new run, and no longer see any
discrepancies between different processors (that is, there don't seem to
be any "shorter SelectBoundcond" processors any more).

So if *all* the processors are showing essentially the same information,
and the "schedule_barriers" and "sync_barriers" are in place, then there's
no significant load imbalance? And yet it is slow as hell ...

I'm now testing with the actual repository McLachlan instead.

Bernard