[Users] logic of scheduling SelectBoundConds in McLachlan?

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Tue Feb 19 13:16:48 CST 2013

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 1:24 PM, Kelly, Bernard J. (GSFC-660.0)[UNIVERSITY
OF MARYLAND BALTIMORE COUNTY] <bernard.j.kelly at nasa.gov> wrote:

> Hi Ian (and Frank and Erik). Thanks for the further insight on the
> profiling.
>

> [Please ignore the new mail that just came through with the 400KB
> attachment. That was my first attempt that was held for moderation because
> of the attachment size. Then I sent the slimmed-down attachments, but this
> was still in the pipeline.]
>
> I was looking at *all* the processor outputs (that is, all the
> TimerReport_XXXXXX files), but not necessarily at all fields in all of
> them. I concentrated on the CCTK_EVOL section of the report, and then only
> looked closely at discrepancies between a sample "longer SelectBoundCond"
> processor and each of the five or six "shorter SelectBoundcond"
> processors. I suppose to do a more complete job, I'd have to start
> scripting ...
>
> Anyway, I *hadn't* been using those profiling parameters before, so my
> conclusions were probably dodgy as you say. After your reply I re-enabled
> them and restarted the run. Since it's so slow, I'm now looking at the
> TimerReports from earlier in the new run, and no longer see any
> discrepancies between different processors (that is, there don't seem to
> be any "shorter SelectBoundcond" processors any more).
>
> So if *all* the processors are showing essentially the same information,
> and the "schedule_barriers" and "sync_barriers" are in place, then there's
> no significant load imbalance? And yet it is slow as hell ...

With schedule barriers, load imbalance is hidden in these barriers. That
is, you would need to measure how much time each process spends in these
barriers. I expect that some processes will spend 0s there, while others
will spend 50,000s there. That would be your load imbalance.

-erik