[Users] simulation time

Frank Loeffler knarf at cct.lsu.edu
Sun Jul 14 13:42:16 CDT 2013

Dear Professor Khanal

On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 05:06:58PM +0000, Udayaraj Khanal wrote:
> Dear allI have created a batch queue script and submitted it to queue
> an example simulation static_tov as in tutorial for new user. Then I
> checked the status by ./simfactory/bin/sim list-simulations. I got
> static_tov  [ACTIVE (FINISHED), restart 0000, job id -1]. Does this
> signifies the completion of the simulation?When I logged in by ssh -Y
> qb.loni.org and give command cd
> /scratch/ettest52/simulations/static_tov/output-0000/static_tovNo such
> file or directory. Is it due to not completion of the simulation?How
> much time does it take to complete a simulation? I have submitted it
> almost a week before.

The time a simulation needs after submission depends on both the time
the actual simulation needs and the time it has to wait in the queue.
static_tov should be pretty quick, but queue times are hard to predict.
Right now, no job is queued by ettest52, so I assumed it has finished,
one way or another.

One way to see what has been going on is to look in the directory

 /scratch/ettest52/simulations/static_tov

I cannot see inside myself (insufficient permissions), but things to
look out for are:

- Does this directory actually exist? If it doesn't, submission itself
  went wrong.
- If /scratch/ettest52/simulations/static_tov/output-0000/static_tov
  doesn't exist, it indicates that either the simulation wasn't run at
  all or didn't go very far, as creating that directory is one of the
  first things it does.
- Do log files in /scratch/ettest52/simulations/static_tov/output-0000
  exist (usually .err and .out)? These are created when the executable
  is run (containing stderr and stdout), and could contain the reason
  for an error.
- If not even that exists, look inside
  /scratch/ettest52/simulations/static_tov/log.txt for possible errors.

Frank