[Users] Meeting Minutes

Barry Wardell barry.wardell at gmail.com
Mon May 27 17:54:02 CDT 2013

On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 6:18 PM, Roland Haas
<roland.haas at physics.gatech.edu> wrote:
> * collect changes since release, in particular for simfactory on datura
> and create new point release and tags once done

If there is going to be a new point release, then I'd like to also
propose that we regenerate all Kranc-based thorns with the release
version of Kranc, as suggested in
[https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/1365].

> Version control system:
> * suggestion to move code repositories (excepting ExternalLibraries)
> from svn to git
> ** git offers better GUIs
> ** git offers easier branch management (eg one can create a branch and
> refer to it in a ticket)
> ** git offers better merge handling
> ** git keeps full history which might be large in case of frequent
> changes to large files (eg test data)
> * will send an email with intention to change to mailing lists
> * nothing will happen in the next month due to travel and CCT moving
> buildings

It may have already been mentioned on the call, but Ian Hinder and I
have a system in place to provide git mirrors of all components of the
ET (including ExternalLibraries). This is currently available at
http://git.barrywardell.net/ for anyone who wants to try it out. For
example, to get the latest release version of the Einstein Toolkit you
could use the following:

git clone --recursive --branch ET_2013_05
git://git.barrywardell.net/EinsteinToolkit

I would be happy to offer my help in adapting this system for use in a
more 'official' location.

Regards,
Barry