[Users] Meeting Minutes

Barry Wardell barry.wardell at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 10:29:32 CDT 2014

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 9:50 AM, Frank Loeffler <knarf at cct.lsu.edu> wrote:

> See this as proposal. This essentially puts every thorn into its own
> repository, but combines:
>
> - PITTNullCode
> - GRHydro
> - CactusExamples
> - CactusTest
> - CactusWave
>
> It also leaves out ExternalLibraries, at least for now. When we are
> going to move to the proposed mechanism, these repositories would need
> to be created from scratch anyway.

It's not important right now since the ExternalLibraries won't be
transitioning yet, but while I think of it, it would be possible to
maintain the history rather than creating the repository from scratch. This
could be done using git filter-branch to remove the tarballs from the
history and put them in a submodule instead. Checking out the out the thorn
would then not get all the tarballs by default. Of course, if a tarball is
needed then the entire history would have to be downloaded. However, if the
ExternalLibraries eventually move to a system where the tarball is not
included but instead fetched on demand, then the large history-of-tarballs
repository would only have to be fetched when checking out an old version
of the external library.