[Users] HDF5 error: header file can't be opened/seen?

Frank Loeffler knarf at cct.lsu.edu
Wed Aug 19 11:21:26 CDT 2015

On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 05:54:51PM +0200, dumsani wrote:
> I'am trying to build (compile) a simulation using some private thorns and
> the Einstein Toolkit (ET_2014_05). The build goes through successfully on
> my local machine (a laptop running on Gnu/Linux mint 17.1, using GCC
> compilers).
>
> However, when compiling the same code on a remote cluster (running on
> Gnu/Linux RedHat plus Intel compilers) the compiling persistently fails with
> the error:
> cactus/arrangements/EinsteinAnalysis/AHFinderDirect/src/patch/patch_system.cc(87):
>
> catastrophic error: cannot open source file "hdf5.h"
>   #  include <hdf5.h>

This failure, as you probably guessed, means that the compiler cannot
find the hdf5 library - not just the C++ part, the library itself.

> Searching on Google, there seems to have been aticket
> (https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/911, or
> http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/pipermail/users/2012-July/002333.html) on
> this
> issue and it was resolved.

Since you are using 2014_05 this should be already resolved in your
checkout.

Compile again, using 'make sim VERBOSE=yes'. This should give you
the complete compiler command line used for
cactus/arrangements/EinsteinAnalysis/AHFinderDirect/src/patch/patch_system.cc.
See if this line includes the hdf5 library (it does not have to
necessarily). Besides that line, let us know how the HDF5 thorn
configured HDF5: do you use a system-provided version, a version you
compiled yourself, or a version Cactus built for you?

We would need at least that information to see what is going on. Also -
did you try using a newer ET release?

Frank