[Users] Kranc and xAct

Barry Wardell barry.wardell at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 10:52:59 CDT 2015

I sent the reply below to Comer earlier, but forgot to cc the list!

Hi Comer,

Yes, it's fine to have xAct loaded when running Kranc. In fact, there is
experimental support in Kranc for using xAct as a backend for all of the
tensor manipulation that Kranc does. For example, you can set
KrancTensor`$KrancTensorNeeds = "xTensorKranc`"; at the start of many of
the examples and it should just work (admittedly, I haven't checked it
still works with the latest version of Kranc).

In principal, this could be made the default in the future, but right now
it is not robust enough. The main problem is that xAct is quite a large,
complicated package and it is somewhat overkill for the requirements of
Kranc. As a result, there are a few hacks and hardcoded values in Kranc's
use of xAct. It may be that the new CTensor features in xCoba would make
this worth revisiting, but I don't think anyone has looked at that yet.

Barry