[Users] Cleaning up branch names

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Tue Jun 16 16:51:07 CDT 2015

I notice that some of our repositories (e.g. for the flesh) have
accumulated quite a number of branches. Some of these are historic (dragged
along from cvs!), some are outdated (last commit was 2013), others are
active.

I suggest to clean them up. First, I'd like to propose that people who
create a new branch should use their name as prefix (e.g. "eschnett/"); in
this way, people have all the freedom they need when creating branches
without creating confusion with umpteen scheduler-related branches.

If you already have a branch, consider renaming it; renaming a branch does
not lose any information. At some point in the future, we may rename all
the historic branches via an "attic/" prefix, so that the currently active
an interesting branches stand out.

Also, the multitude of ET_ and Cactus_ branches is becoming noisy. Using a
release/ prefix may help.