[Users] failed build on local mac osx yosemite [POSSIBLE SOLUTION TO THE PROBLEM]

Roberto De Pietri roberto.depietri at unipr.it
Fri May 22 09:10:36 CDT 2015

Hi Ian:

Thanks for the answer. I followed exactly your procedure and I was very surprised of having
a failing compilation. Than I starting tracing back the problem.
* All the thorns except one were compiling correctly.
* The failing thorn was CarpetIOHDF5 and of the 5 source files present only 3 failed
* The error was very strange because the only real problem was related to
  a system include “/opt/local/lib/gcc49/gcc/x86_64-apple-darwin14/4.9.2/include/mmintrin.h”
  and was related to conversion using AVX intel intrinsic. The error were of the type:

  error: can’t convert between vector values of different size
     return (__m64) __builtin_ia32_vec_init_v2si (__i, 0);

  I was think about bad iteration between include files. Something like macro expansion
  of system file happening after incluse of application macro.

* I decide to give a try to just change the system include on the top of the failing source
  files to looks like the compiling one. Basicaly I just added
     #include <cstdlib>
     #include <cstring>
     #include <list>
     #include <sstream>
     #include <string>
     #include <vector>
     #include <map>
     #include <algorithm>
  on the top of the 3 failing  files

* with these limited changes to just 3 files I obtained a compiling executable that
  passed the whole testsuite.

Here is the results about the active hdf5 library in mac ports on my machine.

tycho:python_util depietri$ port installed "*hdf5*"
  hdf5 @1.8.15_0+cxx
  hdf5 @1.8.15_0+cxx+fortran+gfortran (active)

On the sequence of installing ports the only difference was in the order, that is
I installed subversion and python before the sequence in osx-macports.cfg

With my change I got
    /opt/local/include/gcc49/c++/algorithm
include before
    /Users/depietri/EinsteinToolkit/ET_dev/Cactus/arrangements/Carpet/CarpetIOHDF5/src/CarpetIOHDF5.hh
that the other way around.

This is my understanding. The thing that happens in the two files that successfully compiled.

Here is failed include sequence:

COMPILING arrangements/Carpet/CarpetIOHDF5/src/Output.cc
In file included from /opt/local/lib/gcc49/gcc/x86_64-apple-darwin14/4.9.2/include/x86intrin.h:29:0,
                from /opt/local/include/gcc49/c++/x86_64-apple-darwin14/bits/opt_random.h:33,
                from /opt/local/include/gcc49/c++/random:50,
                from /opt/local/include/gcc49/c++/bits/stl_algo.h:66,
                from /opt/local/include/gcc49/c++/algorithm:62,
                from /Users/depietri/EinsteinToolkit/ET_dev/Cactus/arrangements/Carpet/CarpetLib/src/defs.hh:6,
                from /Users/depietri/EinsteinToolkit/ET_dev/Cactus/arrangements/Carpet/CarpetLib/src/bbox.hh:10,
                from /Users/depietri/EinsteinToolkit/ET_dev/Cactus/configs/sim/bindings/include/bbox.hh:4,
                from /Users/depietri/EinsteinToolkit/ET_dev/Cactus/arrangements/Carpet/Carpet/src/functions.hh:17,
                from /Users/depietri/EinsteinToolkit/ET_dev/Cactus/arrangements/Carpet/Carpet/src/carpet_public.hh:8,
                from /Users/depietri/EinsteinToolkit/ET_dev/Cactus/configs/sim/bindings/include/carpet.hh:4,
                from /Users/depietri/EinsteinToolkit/ET_dev/Cactus/arrangements/Carpet/CarpetIOHDF5/src/CarpetIOHDF5.hh:11,
                from /Users/depietri/EinsteinToolkit/ET_dev/Cactus/arrangements/Carpet/CarpetIOHDF5/src/Output.cc:13:

Roberto

Roberto De Pietri        e-mail:roberto.depietri at fis.unipr.it
Dipartimento di Fisica   http://www.fis.unipr.it/~roberto.depietri
Universita' di Parma     tel: +39 (0521) 905280
Via G.P.Usberti 7/A      fax: +39 (0521) 905223
I-43100 PARMA --- ITALY