[Users] failed build on local mac osx yosemite [POSSIBLE SOLUTION TO THE PROBLEM]

Ian Hinder ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de
Fri May 22 11:34:52 CDT 2015

On 22 May 2015, at 16:10, Roberto De Pietri <roberto.depietri at unipr.it> wrote:

> Hi Ian:
>

> Thanks for the answer. I followed exactly your procedure and I was very surprised of having
> a failing compilation. Than I starting tracing back the problem.
> * All the thorns except one were compiling correctly.
> * The failing thorn was CarpetIOHDF5 and of the 5 source files present only 3 failed
> * The error was very strange because the only real problem was related to
>  a system include “/opt/local/lib/gcc49/gcc/x86_64-apple-darwin14/4.9.2/include/mmintrin.h”
>  and was related to conversion using AVX intel intrinsic. The error were of the type:
>
>  error: can’t convert between vector values of different size
>     return (__m64) __builtin_ia32_vec_init_v2si (__i, 0);

There is a stackoverflow post (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19043109/gcc-4-8-1-combining-c-code-with-c11-code ) which describes a similar problem, which I haven't studied in depth, but they seem to suggest that it's a bug in gcc, and that setting --std=gnu++11 instead of --std=c++11 in CXXFLAGS will work around the problem.  We currently have

	CXXFLAGS = -g -std=c++14

so I'm guessing that changing this to

	CXXFLAGS = -g -std=gnu++14

might have the same effect.

What I don't understand is why we didn't pick this up in testing.  I successfully compiled the whole ET using exactly that set of MacPorts packages and the optionlist before the release, and the gcc49 macports package hasn't been updated since 4 weeks ago.

When you say you followed exactly my procedure, do you mean that you get the above compilation problem even when you have only the ports listed in the optionlist installed, and have not installed anything else, such as gcc5 or the python packages?

http://members.aei.mpg.de/ianhin