[Users] questions about working elliptic solver thorns

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Fri May 29 10:12:29 CDT 2015

On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 10:40 AM, Comer Duncan <comer.duncan at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Erik,
>
> Thanks for your informative take on the status of elliptic solvers.  I am
> out on travel at the moment and will be traveling home next Monday.  So
> maybe the next next Monday?
>
> From what you describe it seems clear that having an elliptic solver which
> knows about mesh refinement is sort of hard. Is the multigrid solver of
> Eloisa  Carpet aware?  If so, I would probably elect to use it so long as
> it is designed to work for asymtotically flat initial data.

Yes, it is. If you want to set up your own solver grid, then you can easily
use PETSc for this. If you want to use Carpet's AMR grids, then I would use
Eloisa's solver. Let's make sure she also have time when you call in.

If not,  I wonder whether it would be reasonable to take the output of a
> solver done on unigrid and read it and remap it onto an AMR grid?  Then run
> it as usual in ET.  Either make the solver itself internally a Carpet aware
> thing or try to do it after the solver is done.  Not an ideal way perhaps
> but perhaps a workaround.

That always works. However, if you add a few levels, then you lose much,
both in accuracy (resolution), and due to the noise that interpolation adds.

-erik

On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 11:30 PM, Erik Schnetter <schnetter at cct.lsu.edu>