[Users] Einstein Toolkit Meeting Reminder

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Tue Sep 22 08:42:12 CDT 2015

For Cactus, it is very important that the licence is not standard GPL, as
this would make it impossible to use standard Cactus thorns with arbitrary
other licences. Cactus needs to be open, and the GPL places too tight a
restriction on codes that use Cactus. Of course, this hold only for the
standard Cactus thorns (the thorns in arrangements with names starting with
"Cactus"); any thorns developed by others can of course be released (or
not) under any licence they choose.

The original formulation of the Cactus thorns' licence was somewhat
misleading; I believe it used the standard GPL text, and then added a
clause that using such a thorn in an application was also allowed. We later
noticed that this is essentially the content of the LGPL, and thus changed
all Cactus thorns to be released under the LGPL. This policy still stands.
If we missed the licence text in a thorn, it should be corrected. If a new
thorn was added with GPL as licence, then this needs to be discussed, and
either the licence changed or the thorn be moved to an auxiliary
arrangement (i.e. not be part of standard Cactus any more).

-erik