[Users] SimulationTools/h5mma: Unable to communicate with closed link

Ian Hinder ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de
Tue Apr 12 13:11:28 CDT 2016

On 12 Apr 2016, at 20:01, Bernard Kelly <physicsbeany at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Ian.
>
> Thanks; I'm trying the compilation now, but am failing with a linking
> error I've encountered lately: "Undefined symbols for architecture
> x86_64". This seems to be an issue with MacPorts gcc compilers. I
> don't know if my MacPorts installation is borked, but I can't compile
> this right now.
>
> ... so any additional ideas on the precompiled h5mma binary are appreciated.

Maybe you could try with homebrew?

The only thing I can think for the precompiled binary is to attach a debugger to it.  h5mma should be loaded when you load SimulationTools; it will appear as a process in "ps".  You could attach gdb:

/opt/local/libexec/gnubin/gdb --pid $(pgrep h5mma)

and then type "continue".  Now, evaluate the ImportHDF5 expression from Mathematica. With any luck, you will get a backtrace in gdb when h5mma crashes.  I wonder if the problem is related to the executable being compiled on an earlier version of OS X.

http://members.aei.mpg.de/ianhin