[Users] Limiting Carpet's Memory Usage

Erik Schnetter schnetter at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 09:41:31 CDT 2016

[I received a question on how to limit the amount of memory that Cactus
uses.]

You can try using "ulimit" to limit memory usage. You can also do that
within an application by calling "setrlimit". There is also a parameter
"CarpetLib::max_memory_size_MB" that does this. However, the Linux kernel
is not good at enforcing memory limits, so this might turn out to be
useless.

There is also a parameter "CarpetLib::max_allowed_memory_MB" that Carpet
checks for all the memory that it allocates. This ignores memory allocated
by other thorns (hopefully not much) as well as by external libraries (MPI
message buffers, HDF5 file caching, libc's malloc implementation, etc.).

If one of these parameters is useful for you, please let me know.

Erik Schnetter <schnetter at gmail.com>