[Users] use of NO_ALLOCATION in simfactory machine definition files

Roland Haas rhaas at illinois.edu
Sun Sep 18 11:51:08 CDT 2016

Hello all,

I would like to remove the

allocation = NO_ALLOCATION

lines from simfactory's machine definition files.

They seem to have not benefit that I can see and cause two types of
problems:

* simfactory does not default to the allocation in the [default]
  section which is the only one set up when doing sim setup on the
  cluster itself

* simfactory does not warn/abort if no allocation is set for the
  cluster since as far as simfactory is concerned, there actually is an
  allocation defined (namely "NO_ALLOCATION"). This is eventually
  caught by qsub and friends but simfactory's handling of qsub errors
  is not very good unfortunately

Does anyone remember why we introduced NO_ALLOCATION? And would anyone
object to remove it from all the affected ini files (which is most of
them it seems).