[Users] Merging CarpertIOHDF5 output from several checkpoints

dumsani g14n8326 at campus.ru.ac.za
Fri Sep 30 15:35:17 CDT 2016

Hi Roland, Ian, Everyone,

Thanks for your input. May I add a few points though to elaborate on my
question. Let's assume we run a simulation with 2 MPI processes (ranks)
with each process writing to it's HDF5 own file. Further assume we have
output from 2 restarts on top of the first output, i.e. we have
Simfactory output directories output-0000, output-0001 and output-0002.
So, for a variable rho, for instance, we would then have
    output-0000/<parfile>/rho.file_0.h5
    output-0000/<parfile>/rho.file_1.h5

    output-0001/<parfile>/rho.file_0.h5
    output-0001/<parfile>/rho.file_1.h5

    output-0002/<parfile>/rho.file_0.h5
    output-0002/<parfile>/rho.file_1.h5

Now, for purposes of visualizing the data, for instance, one would be
interested in collecting all these data chunks into a single file. The
question is how to bundle these into a single file. I wanted to know if
any of the available Carpet tools can help with this.

I stand to be corrected, but I seem to recall that some of the non-ET
tools (e.g. SimulationTools) seem to have an abstraction mechanism for
transparently combining CarpetIOHDF5 output from various checkpoints. Is
that the direction I may have to go?

Thank you,
Dumsani