[Users] GW150914 example, noisy Psi4 waveforms

Christian D. Ott cott at tapir.caltech.edu
Mon Jun 19 00:10:06 CDT 2017

Hi Ian, All,

Coming back to the issue of noisy waveforms with McLachlan/Llama after a
few months. Sorry that this got put on the back burner. The runs I
discuss below are all 8th order and derived from the ET example parfile
for GW150914.

Here are a couple of things:

(1) In a private thread with Ian and me, Christian Reisswig pointed out
that increasing the resolution at which the transition between Cartesian
and curvilinear grid happens helps with the oscillations.

Based on my experiment -- going from dx ~ 1.22 to dx = 0.64 while
keeping the transition radius constant -- does not lend very strong
support to this suggestion. See exhibit1.png, which compares the ET
stock parfile 22 Psi4 waveform at the 167 detector with the waveform
obtained with my dx=0.64 run.

That said, higher resolution should never hurt!

(2) Next, I tested keeping the resolution at dx=0.64 on the coarsest
Cartesian mesh and pushing out the transition radius of the curvilinear
grid from 51.2 to 76.8. exhibit2.png compares the ET stock parfile 22
Psi4 waveform at the 167 detector with the waveform obtained with my
dx=0.64 run, and the transition at 76.8 instead of 51.2.

The effect is quite obvious. So *larger* transition radius, which brings
the r = 167 detector *closer* to the transition radius, makes things
worse, even at high resolution. Note that the oscillations get better
with increasing detector radius.

(3) Finally, I tested again dx=0.64 on the coarsest Cartesian mesh and
moving *in* the transition radius to r=38.4. exhibit3.png shows the result.

So what really seems to matter is the radius at which we transition from
Cartesian to curvilinear (and related to that, the distance of the
location where the waves are extracted from the transition radius; see
exhibit4.png). I don't claim to understand this, but this is what I've
been able to infer thus far.

I also found that increasing the size of the fine AMR meshes on the
Cartesian grid has only a very small effect on the oscillations.

Best,

  - Christian