[Users] Fwd: [RES-users] RES - Call for proposals for scientific workshops

Eloisa Bentivegna eloisa.bentivegna at ct.infn.it
Thu Nov 23 04:48:44 CST 2017

On 22/11/17 21:42, Bruno Giacomazzo wrote:
> Hi Miguel,
>    in Trento we had a school, but not in Stockholm (we had just a
> one-day tutorial) or in Palma. In Trento I remember covering part of the
> traveling expenses for two of the lecturers (I had some financial
> support also by my department and from another professor).
>
>    Having a school would be nice, but maybe we can find lecturers that
> could come at no cost because interested in attending anyway the
> workshop. We could also investigate if we could arrange to have together
> with the ET workshop/school a meeting of a working group of one of the
> existing COST actions (that could help). But this is something we need
> to discuss. Next Monday I will be at the office and we can discuss
> during the ET call.

Hi Miguel, Bruno, all,

I would add that the organization of a school (for which there is always
interest, from past experience) is much more than finding some financial
support for the lecturers. While, after many iterations, we have now a
lot of quality training material that can be reused in future schools,
organizing a reasonable program remains a huge undertaking. This is
especially true for the hands-on parts, where each student would ideally
have a temporary account on a local system where the ET can be installed
with relative ease. This may involve a lot of testing and negotiating
with your IT department.

As a first step, I'd suggest to check that there's enough local
organizers and infrastructure to work out the school program and set up
the logistics.

Eloisa