[Users] meeting minutes for 2017-11-27

Roland Haas roland.haas at physics.gatech.edu
Tue Nov 28 10:51:31 CST 2017

Hello all,

thank you for updating the website.

> What I could do (and I think we should, I just didn't want to step on
> anyone's toes), is remove the final clause, like so:
>
> **
>
> Tutorials: TheTutorial for New Users
> <https://einsteintoolkit.org/documentation/new-user-tutorial>leads
> through your first steps and more on theNational Data Service machine
> <http://www.nationaldataservice.org/>.
>

> Anyone disagree?
I'd like the ipython tutorial to be cleaned up for local use first, eg
providing a single line of package installation instructions, making
sure the OSX MacPorts and HomeBrew are present, instructing users on
how to copy&paste the lines out of jupyter into a shell (ie what do "%"
and "!" do?), plotting without jupyter, a read-only html based viewer
for the notebook (offline use of the ipynb notebook can run into
unexpected issues eg the notebook is for a newer version of jupyter
than may be present on workstations if the OS there is quite old). This
is based on reports of groups using the simplified tutorial as a part of
the getting started process for new students joining them.

After that is done, yes the two tutorials on the wiki right now can
certainly go away. Please also make sure to incorporate Ian's getting
started tutorial which does not involve running in TOV star simulation.