[Users] meeting minutes for 2017-11-27

Steven R. Brandt sbrandt at cct.lsu.edu
Tue Nov 28 11:27:48 CST 2017

On 11/28/2017 10:51 AM, Roland Haas wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> thank you for updating the website.
>
>> What I could do (and I think we should, I just didn't want to step on
>> anyone's toes), is remove the final clause, like so:
>>
>> **
>>
>> Tutorials: TheTutorial for New Users
>> <https://einsteintoolkit.org/documentation/new-user-tutorial>leads
>> through your first steps and more on theNational Data Service machine
>> <http://www.nationaldataservice.org/>.
>>

>> Anyone disagree?
> I'd like the ipython tutorial to be cleaned up for local use first, eg
> providing a single line of package installation instructions, making
> sure the OSX MacPorts and HomeBrew are present, instructing users on
> how to copy&paste the lines out of jupyter into a shell (ie what do "%"
> and "!" do?), plotting without jupyter, a read-only html based viewer
> for the notebook (offline use of the ipynb notebook can run into
> unexpected issues eg the notebook is for a newer version of jupyter
> than may be present on workstations if the OS there is quite old). This
> is based on reports of groups using the simplified tutorial as a part of
> the getting started process for new students joining them.
Noted. However the old tutorial that is still being referenced is out of
date in that it works on the assumption that installation requires a
different/special config for debian/fedora, etc. It doesn't note that
you probably want mpicc in your path, etc. My belief is that we should
probably stop referencing it and focus on improving the Jupyter based one.

Note that the notebook in the repo has been updated to address many of
the above issues. I will ask Craig to update it on the tutorial machine.

--Steve