[Users] Installation problem

Haas, Roland rhaas at illinois.edu
Fri Dec 7 10:09:18 CST 2018

Hello all,

I have seen errors like this when Cactus had to self-compile MPI.

The script arrangements/ExternalLibraries/MPI/src/detect.pl hard-codes
the MPI libraries to be "mpi_usempif08 mpi_usempi_ignore_tkr mpi_mpifh"
which are correct for a compiler that supports fortran 2008 (basically
all I know of) but if one encountered one that (eg due to compiler
options used) only supported fortran 90 then the linker libraries will
change names.

I would suggest looking into

configs/sim/scratch/external/MPI/libs/

and then modify the script
arrangements/ExternalLibraries/MPI/src/detect.pl to use those libraries (it is not enough to set MPI_LIBS in your optionlist is not enough since the script ignores it).

Though the best solution is probably to install an MPI stack eg
libopenmpi-dev on Ubuntu / Debian (and possibly Fedora) based machines.