[Users] Problem with reproducing the NsNsToHMNS

Roland Haas rhaas at illinois.edu
Mon Oct 29 15:29:07 CDT 2018

Hello Hassan,

the level 1 warnings from CarpetRegrid2, while not something that every
single run produces, are not unusual. The code there uses an iterative
scheme to enforce some constraints and while we typically expect that
one round of enforcement is enough, there can be interactions between
the different constrains that require more than one round. The level 1
warning tell you that indeed a second round was required. This
enforcement happens infrequent enough and is fast enough that it does
not affect your simulation run speed.

By "Carpet attempts to do so ten times, then gives up assuming there is
an internal inconsistency" Erik meant that if it need more than 10 rounds for a *single* instance of the constrain enforcement, then it gives up. In your case you see multiple instances of the constrains enforcement (once for each time that eg a neutron star moved far enough that Carpet has to move the computation grid patches to keep the star roughly centered on its grid patch).

You may want to visualize some of the data in VisIt or similar (2d
slices in the xy plane are enough) just to check that eg the grid
(shown via a "Mesh" plot in VisIt) nicely follows the stars (eg via the
HydroBase::rho variable).