[Users] weird behavior with some ET simulations

Sascha Husa sascha.husa at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 09:00:28 CST 2019

On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 3:56 PM Ian Hinder <ian.hinder at manchester.ac.uk>
wrote:

> On 7 Mar 2019, at 14:50, Antoni Ramos Buades <antoniramosbuades at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Thanks a lot Zach, Roland and Ian for your comments. We are currently
> compiling the last version of the EinsteinToolkit and we will make some
> runs with different values of CarpetRegrid2::min_fraction to check if the
> noise disappears. We will report you the results in a few days.
>

> Hi Toni,
>
> I suggest to change just one thing at a time; i.e. take the old version of
> the code that you ran with before, change just this one parameter, and
> rerun the simulation.  If you change too many things at the same time (and
> you are thinking of making 2 years worth of changes!), the results might be
> different for many more reasons, and it's hard to reason about the problem.

The plan is to make tests with both the new and old versions of the code.
We produced a setup where the problems appears relatively soon, so this
won't be too expensive.

Thanks for the quick feedback everybody!
cheers,
-sascha

> --
> Ian Hinder
> Research Software Engineer
> University of Manchester, UK

Associate Professor                    (Profesor Contratado Doctor)
Departament de Fisica, Universitat de les Illes Balears   &
Institut d'Estudis Espacials de Catalunya (IEEC)
Cra. Valldemossa Km 7.5 / E-07122 Palma de Mallorca/Spain
voice:    +34-971-25-9940                       fax: +34-971-17-3426
http://grg.uib.cat