[Users] Multiple emails from bitbucket issues

Haas, Roland rhaas at illinois.edu
Sat Mar 30 12:54:09 CDT 2019

Hello Ian,

> I've noticed that I'm getting two copies of some BitBucket issue
> notifications.  The first is from
> trac at einsteintoolkit.org<mailto:trac at einsteintoolkit.org> because I
> am subscribed to that mailing list, and all the issue notifications
> go to it.  The second is directly from BitBucket, and it is sent
> because I have interacted with an issue, so BitBucket assumes I am
> interested and "watches" the issue for me.
Yes, I have the same problems (or had, right now I filter out the
direct bitbucket ones and keep on the trac list ones).

> I think the solution is to unsubscribe from
> trac at einsteintoolkit.org<mailto:trac at einsteintoolkit.org> and instead
> enable issue notifications from the tickets repository in bitbucket.
Sure. No one is forced to subscribe to any mailing list and the trac
list is "read-only" anyway (ie no one is supposed to post to it).

> Given this situation, is there still value in having
> trac at einsteintoolkit,org?  I would imagine that people who want to
> see *all* ticket activity from the ET project will likely have a
> bitbucket account so they can interact with the code, and hence can
> enable direct bitbucket notifications.
I am in the same situation as you are and it is rather annoying.

The usefulness (for me, who is involved in many parts of the ET) of
having the mailing list is for it serve as a central collector for all
ET related tickets.

Right now multiple different repositories send trac like tickets
emails there (Kranc and the ET main tickets repo at least).

Another (future) use is comments on pull requests (or even commits)
which are ticket-like but are linked to their own "parent" repository
(and few people watch every single one of them and add new watches as
new ones are created). This would be a benenfit once (which we have not
yet) we get around to also hooking up pull request comments to the same
mailing list (not that it is hard, just more php scripting).

The other reasons (for me) to keep subscribed to
trac at einsteintoolkit.org is that bitbucket does not send me emails
about my own posts to tickets. And while I may at the point of making
the comment remember what I said, being able to search my email logs
for all posts is useful.