[Users] arXiv-1111.3344 collapse example errors

Roland Haas rhaas at illinois.edu
Mon Feb 17 12:37:06 CST 2020

Hello Justin,

>   Hello everyone,
>
> I am still trying to run the arXiv-1111.3344 TOV collapse simulation and
> having continued issues with updating the thornlist, specifically
> CoreCollapseControl.
>
> Specific questions:
> 1. After updating my thornlist with CoreCollapseControl, my Cactus rebuild
> fails while compiling CoreCollapseControl, citing a few undeclared
> variables warnings before a final "Error 2." Am I missing a step in the
> update process?
You shouldn't no. Looking at the errors that the compiler produced, the
first one is:
--8<--
/home/verde029/ETK/Cactus/configs/sim2/build/CoreCollapseControl/output_control.cc: In function ‘void CoreCollapseControl_OutputControl(cGH*)’:
/home/verde029/ETK/Cactus/configs/sim2/build/CoreCollapseControl/output_control.cc:29:5: error: ‘ostringstream’ was not declared in this scope
     ostringstream outevery;
--8<--
which likely means that either a "using namespace std" or "std::" or an "include <sstream>" is missing (likely b/c an older version of the compiler did not require them).

> 2.  Per Roland's previous email, I attempted to find CartesianCoordinates
> in the Llama repository but it does not exist. Has it been
> absorbed/replaced by the Coordinates thorn? And, if so, should I simply
> replace "CartesianCoordinates" with "Coordinates" in the par file?
It has not been absorbed (and CartesianCoordinates is not 100% of a
drop in for Coordinates' "Cartesian" single patch setup). It exists
here:

https://bitbucket.org/llamacode/ctgamma/src/master/CartesianCoordinates/

which is in the CTGamma repository (owned by the LlamaCode bitbucket
org but not in the Llama repository).

> 3. With the known issues with the TOV collapse simulation, are there any
> recommendations for another collapse simulation? I am just looking for a
> working code shell and am not particularly tied to TOV.
I am not directly aware of any other collapse one that could be used.

> Please see below for the steps I took to update my thornlist and build a
> new experimental Cactus configuration. I have also attached a log file with
> the output from my build.
Thank you.

Given that we get requests for a collapse setup at least
semi-regularly, I will try and set up a parameter file analogous to the
one used in the paper but using only ET thorns.