[Users] TOV Solver and Equilibrium

Peter Diener diener at cct.lsu.edu
Thu Oct 22 14:39:55 CDT 2020

Hi Nick,

Your approach of modifiying TOVSolver::TOV_Rho_Central[0] in your
parameter file just results in an different equilibrium
solution.

However, the TOV-solver actually have built in parameters for doing
exactly what you want.

If you set

TOVSolve::Perturb[0] = "yes"

you can add a perturbation to the density before writing the initial
data to the grid.

You'll also need to set TOVSolver::Pert_Amplitude[0] to some nonzero
value in order for a nonzero perturbation to be added.

The initial data, written to the grid, will of course no longer satisfy
the constraint equations but for your purpose that should be okay.

Other ways of adding perturbations could also be to use different values
of TOVSolver::TOV_Gamma and/or TOVSolver::TOV_K for the initial data
thorn and for the evolution thorn.

Cheers,

   Peter