[Users] Need help building Einstein Toolkit: clang: error: unsupported option '-fopenmp'

Murray Wolinsky mmwolinsky at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 12:21:45 CDT 2021

Hi All,

Thanks so much for making the Einstein Toolkit software available!

I'm using the CactusTutorial.ipynb that I got from your site. I'm trying to
build ET on my 2015 Macbook Pro running OS 10.15.7.

I'm stuck at the cell (after) *Building the Einstein Toolkit* .
I modified that cell to get past issues with zlib . The cell now looks like:

%%bash
export ZLIB_DIR=/usr/local/opt/zlib/lib
export LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/opt/zlib/lib"
export CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/opt/zlib/include"
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH="/usr/local/opt/zlib/lib/pkgconfig"
./simfactory/bin/sim build -j2 --thornlist ../einsteintoolkit.th

Running that cell eventually stops with the errors

COMPILING CactusBase/CoordBase/src/Domain.c
COMPILING configs/sim/bindings/build/ADMCoupling/cctk_ThornBindings.c
clang: error: unsupported option '-fopenmp'
make[3]: *** [Domain.c.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [make.checked] Error 2
make[1]: *** [/Users/murray/Cactus/configs/sim/lib/libthorn_CoordBase.a] Error 2
clang: error: unsupported option '-fopenmp'
make[3]: *** [cctk_ThornBindings.c.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [cctk_Bindings/make.checked] Error 2
make[1]: *** [/Users/murray/Cactus/configs/sim/lib/libthorn_ADMCoupling.a]
Error 2
make: *** [sim] Error 2

Can you help? I'm confused by the error message coming from clang, since
the ET seems to use gcc, but my attempt to force gcc, by including the
exports below, made no difference:

export CC=gcc-10
export CXX=gcc-10

I really appreciate any help you are able to provide!

Thank you.

Murray (Wolinsky)

Additional (likely irrelevant) notes:

I used brew to install the prerequisites. It seemed to have gone
more-or-less ok.

Brew did issue a somewhat concerning message regarding hdf5:

==> Pouring hdf5-1.12.0_1.catalina.bottle.1.tar.gz

Warning: hdf5 dependency gcc was built with a different C++ standard

library (libstdc++ from clang). This may cause problems at runtime.

But it didn't provide any guidance into fixing the potential problem. Itried

brew reinstall hdf5

and brew no longer complains.

I also had some issues with the subversion installation. But I don't think
they're responsible for my current problem.

Also, when I did the step *Configuring SimFactory for your machine*, I got
the output:

Here we will define some necessary Simulation Factory defaults.

Determining local machine name: mw-3.local

[default]
user            = murray
email           = murray
allocation      = NO_ALLOCATION

Contents successfully written to
/Users/murray/Cactus/repos/simfactory2/etc/defs.local.ini

which looks OK, but the NO_ALLOCATION message seems like it might be of concern?